Wine Braised Short Ribs

Happy New Year!  I recently found out that my husband doesn't really like black eyed peas...odd since he ate it last year. Usually I cook black eyed peas, collard greens, corn bread and maybe coleslaw.  None the less, I took this as my opportunity to cook something non traditional for New Years Day. 

I decided on Wine Braised Short Ribs, Mashed Potatoes & Steamed Broccoli.  I originally wanted roasted asparagus, but I couldn't find any good looking asparagus at the store, so the back up plan was broccoli.

This was my first time braising anything, and the results were wonderful!  I actually looked at about 5 recipes before deciding on what to do.  Below is the recipe that is the most basic version. I did add several things that I pulled in from various recipes, but this is the base.

dinner plate



http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-robinson/red-wine-braised-short-ribs-recipe/index.html







Here's what I did in addition to the food network recipe.

1. First, I used 8 smaller short ribs.
2. In addition to salt and pepper, I also added dried thyme to the seasonings on the meat.
3. Instead of browning the ribs in butter, I did an EVOO and butter combo.
4. After browning the meat, I sauteed onions, garlic and some dried celery flakes in the same pot.
5. I did add the full bottle of wine, but when I noticed that it did not reduce as the recipe said it would,  so I used only 2 cups of veggie broth instead of 4. 
dinner plate











Here are the first 5 ribs, in the pan.

The results were amazing! Even the Mr. loved it!  Here are a few pictures.



Here are the veggies, wine & broth.
Finished ribs, right out of the oven.



Comments