My Hunt For A Delecious Red

I've always wanted to love red wine, but so far it's been a goal I have yet to achieve. I've tried a few different ones here and there and I've discovered that I like the sweeter ones. Not the reds that taste like grape juice, but a nice, mild sweeter taste. Since I had an extended weekend over Thanksgiving I thought that would be the perfect time to try out a few more reds. Needless to say I had a great time drinking wine over the course of 5 days!

First up is Sweet Red Wine by Sweet Bliss Winery. I purchased this from Meijer on sale for $7.99. I believe the regular price was $10.99.  The alcohol is 12.5% by volume.  It was nicely sweet and was pretty good.  It was balanced and not overly sweet. It's described as having a ripe red fruit and subtle toasted oak with deep cherry flavors  I could taste the oak, but it didn't bother me like it usually would. Most times, I try to stay away from wines made in oak.

Second up, also purchased at Meijer, is Voluptuous Sweet Temptation, by St.Clair Winery.  I purchased it for $8.99 on sale.   The alcohol per volume is 12%.   Based on their website, where you can purchase it for $10, Meijer has clearly marked this price way up with their regular price of $12.99.  Hopefully this will always be on sale for $8.99, because this was my favorite of the three!  This wine was sweet, fruity and smooth.  With flavors like plump raspberries stacked with tart cherries and sweet strawberries it's perfect to just drink alone. Which I did.  I was skeptical at first because I don't care for raspberries, but I loved this wine. I actually couldn't even taste raspberries specifically.  Side note: I also bought the Voluptuous Mascato to take to my in-laws house for Thanksgiving, and that was wonderful too!

Lastly I tried Rebel Red, by Middle Sister. I purchased this wine from Kroger at $9.99, regular price of $12.99.  It had aromas of plums, blueberries, and blackberries with a dollop of crème de cassis. I did in fact like this wine, but it was my least favorite.  I wanted to see if I would like a little dryer red.  This actually had the highest alcohol level of 13.6%.  And, as expected, it was absolutely not the sweetest.  It was the driest and least enjoyable.  Not bad, just not delicious.

What I learned was spot on. The higher the alcohol content the drier the wine.  Check out this page for some good information.  Wines 12.5 percent and above are considered "dry" wines.  So, in a nutshell, I probably will stick to red wines in the 10.5%-12% range.

What kind of red wine do you like? Care to recommend any to me?

Comments